Burglary Preventative Tips
- DO keep shrubbery trimmed down to eliminate “hiding places.”
- DO put address numbers on your house and mailbox that are large and easy to read. This makes it easier for authorities to locate your house in an emergency.
- DO keep your house exterior well lit and deadbolt all doors.
- DON’T put your name on your mailbox. WIth just a last name, a burglar can get ahold of your cell phone number and call to see if you’re home.
- DON’T hide spare keys in obvious places such as under a doormat or a potted plant. Simply checking these spots is how many criminals avoid forced entry.
After purchasing a new home, change locks on all doors. Also, change out the screws in the door strike plates with 4in. screws. As you can see in the picture below provided by Schooting Solutions, they are regularly installed with screws that make it easier for burglars to kick in. Burglars are looking for quick easy access. The longer it takes, the more likely they are to give up and move on from your home.